February 15, 2011

Yellow Cab project contemplations

At the moment I’m working on my Yellow Cab project, this is a series of 6 smaller pieces on wood panels featuring yellow cabs. I’ve finished one so far, four others are in different stages of unfinishedness and one is just an empty panel for now.

So the first one I did became a piece that I worked on for quite some time, it stood in my studio and I kept reworking it so it became quite layered, something I really like about the piece. Right now I’m working on the second, third, fourth and fifth piece, I’m doing all of them simultaneously because I want to force myself to take my time and live with them for a while before deciding what to do with them. 

The dilemma I’m facing now however, concerns my second piece. I put all the gel layers together on the wood panel and now I think it doesn’t need all that much extra. It’s almost right just like it is now. Somehow that makes me feel like a cheat though, because all I did was combining the photographs, there’s almost no paint to be added. Granted, I did take all the photographs so that should count for something. But is it enough? I mean, I feel like the piece should be more of a struggle but that’s just madness, isn’t it?

Yes, I think it is, I don’t think it matters how much of a struggle it was to create, that’s not something anybody is going to see. It’s all about the image right? and this image is really strong just as is so I’m not going to ruin it by forcing paint on it just because my mind is telling me art should be a struggle. Sometimes it’s easy and that’s ok...

No comments:

Post a Comment