July 18, 2011

A Wonderful Weekend!






My husband likes to go rock climbing, he does this twice a week at a gym but to change things up a bit he wanted to do some climbing outdoors. Together with a buddy he enrolled in a two day course. This course was going to take place in this regional park in Val David about an hours drive from Montreal in the Laurentiens. Since the weather was going to be gorgeous and the scenery even more so, I decided to tag along. I packed a bag with some sandwiches, my sketchbook, some pastels and charcoal and loads of water and went off by myself to explore Parc Regional Dufresne. 

On Saturday I spent my time on two look out points where I could sit on the rocks and look at this amazing view of the valley. What surprised me the most was how quiet it was, I spent about eight hours there and I encountered no more then 5 people, it was absolutely amazing! The views were magnificent and because I was by myself I had al the time in the world to do some drawing. 

On Sunday I divided my time between drawing and exploring because I wanted to see a little more of the parc. I entered from a different spot and walked around from lookout to lookout sometimes stopping in between to do a quick sketch. The park is used mostly by rock climbers and it is pretty clear why. There are these huge rock formations scattered around the park and the hills have these amazing cliffs. Because it was Sunday I encountered a few more people but when I was sitting on the lookouts it was so quiet that it felt like I was the only person for miles. 

It had been a while since I did some outdoor sketching, I rarely give myself the time to do it. The good thing about my trip this weekend was that I was by myself and I knew I had to be there for at least eight hours each day since my husband was doing the course. I had brought a book and my drawing tools but nothing else so I could either read or draw. I had forgotten how much I enjoy just drawing, it is so relaxing! Being able to do it two days in a row in a place with so much beauty, absolutely amazing! Yeah, my life is pretty good!

If you would like to check out the drawings I made this weekend you can visit my Landscape Drawings gallery here: http://www.denisebuismanpilger.com/Denise_Buisman_Pilger/Drawings_Landscapes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment